7.16.2017

Mountain Get - A - Way

Hi There !

So... this mountain project.  House has so much potential, just needs a little love and a lot of paint, flooring, electrical, tile and mill work.  It can be done.  I starting outside and worked my way through every room when coming up with a plan.. and spent a lot of time on my Pinterest files !

A mid century modern style, I will say I got my exterior color inspiration for a client of mine with a similar style !  She and I worked on her mountain house together and the one thing I loved (and totally agreed on) were the colors she chose for the outside.  Sitting among the trees I do feel like it should blend in with the surroundings, not stand out.  So a dark grey with a darker grey tin room.  In keeping with the mid century vibe, a large stained front door.  I overlaid the colors I wanted on the photo of the house then proceeded to move the front door and add a larger deck with structural awning all to get a visual.


Before pic.. I want to move that door and take out that overhang, extending the roof line.


These are the awning ideas I found in my files.  Not only will they add a structural detail, they'll cool of the sun on the deck.

I started with the main floor layout which promoted me to move the front door from the side of the house to the front.  The main reason - curb appeal, second reason, creating a foyer so you don't just walk right into the living room.


With all the crazy good angles on the ceiling, this floating wall will create a passage as well as a great place for art on the door side, TV on the other.. Not a big fan of the TV on the huge fireplace wall.


The brick fireplace shoots to the ceiling and currently an orange color brick.. not so good.  Saving a bit of money, want to paint and maybe do stucco at a later date.  With all the walls in the main living space white and the ceiling white.. this will add a strong contrast.  There is also an opening on the left side of fireplace into the kitchen that I want to close up.  Planning to mix all types of art, wool, painted, photography through out the room.


Two large Verellen sofas in same fabric and style as oppose to a sectional with a foot friendly coffee table and Moroccan rug for lots of texture.  Love this inlaid black and white side cube I have.  All in shades of black, white, tan, brown.. mountain chic and my favorite style.



I worked on every wall angle when I did my design boards to see just where I would put everything and each view you would have of the space.  Two large sliding doors, one in this area, one to the left by the dining space.  It's an L shaped room.

The dining area I love.  One large wall will have the most gorgeous rustic pine china cabinet I over zealously bought for one of my Nashville clients.. and was too big !  Will fit perfect there !  A large twig chandelier and rustic dining chairs and table.  Finding inspiration of a banister in my Pinterest files, I want to create this metal walls panel as my "banister" and has a nod back to the mid century floor screens you see.

Everyone has their obsessions.  One of mine . . . china.  Don't know why.  I am totally crushing on Montes Doggett these days.  These Peruvian ceramics are the works of Mexican designer Monica Porter.  I have collected several pieces and plan on finding more room for a few more ! (all available with us at Lucy and Company by the way !)  Planning to fill that cabinet with these works of art !


Closing off one entrance to the kitchen is ok.. there is a larger one by the dining area.  The kitchen needs to be a gut job.  The first thing I want to do is add new, sleek, but mountain pine cabinets with a dark grey concrete counter tops and to-the-ceiling wavy, white subway tiles. Matte black faucet and new appliances.



Missing anything, yes a tall fridge.  It's a small kitchen and I want it pretty.  The tile will wrap the whole room.  I want to float shelves and add refrigerator drawers as oppose to a stand up !!


This pretty metal cabinet will be the pantry.  Depending on the "neat" factor will either do glass jars or add a white burlap fabric on the inside to hide the not so pretty boxes of cereal !


My shopping trip to High Point is where I scored most of these goodies !!

There is a side door to a mud room which is just on the back side of the kitchen... This slim matte black Smeg fridge will look great in there and house bigger things that won't fit in those drawers in the kitchen.. A great place for party prep, and I must must have this piece by Ron Royals !!!


Shifting from a grey stain hardwood floors to charcoal slate for this higher traffic mud room.  Washer dryer at same height as large sink and all covered with wood top and storage above.



This home has two bedrooms, two baths but a huge, tall, well lighted basement with sliders to the outside area (perfect down there for an art studio and bunk room).  So the two upper bedrooms can both have a queen and king bed.

In the "guest" I have always loved this wall paper.  It looks hand drawn and it's romantic, as are the mountains to me.  I love the idea of this paper and might even tea stain it for a little more age.  Drop pendants.. rusty buckets and the is bed is covered in burlap and felt the perfect choice.



A barn wood barn door to the closet can slide behind the dresser and in front of the mirror.


This curtain fabric is one of my new favorites.. with the awnings over the back deck, and the total privacy.. they don't have to be functional...


The hall bath serves as the guest bath and main living bathroom.. Simple ship lap, a great new (like old) pharmacy metal sink base and matte black fixtures.  Grey slate floors and black and white penny tile in the shower and tub with a 1/2 glass wall.


The master bedroom has a bit of an industrial vibe with horizontal ship lap black walls.  A king upholstered low bed and mismatch side tables.  Pattern hide rug and light, airy linen curtains.



Think I'll keep these closet doors but paint them white.



Master has it's own bath.. using a little vintage brass in there and tile that reminds me of many NYC vintage boutique hotels..  Love this...


When you head down the stairs there is a large large basement, luckily with high ceilings and windows !  Currently used as a living room, want to change it to a bunk room with fireplace and casual seating... overflow for company and just a fun place to hang out !





Has it's own bath as well.. something simple in like colors.


Yahoo !!! Sooooo excited about this plan... can't wait to see the transformation !!!

See what I have to work with - wowza....

Happy Sunday !